FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Places of people who visit this blog

Thursday, November 15, 2007

This may destroy my reputation of being a Jerk and Assh-l- that I've unceremoniously built up over the years but........

While I've been in I've tried in my small way tried to assist a few people who have helped and inspired me here. These are Kenyans I met and found them to be genuinely helpful, kind and consider them friends. This is a step forward for me as I don't make friends easily.

I became a bit of a softy so when I left the village I gave most of my stuff to certain individuals plus some money they can buy themselves something. They were so grateful and thanked me so much that even a tight guy me was happy that I did it. I know I've mentioned that I don't believe in giving the villagers gifts but mostly to teach them to be self sustaining. However these gifts were to personal friends that I made and wanted to help. Since I was leaving and couldn't help them any more I felt a need to leave them a gift. I know they didn't expect or that it would ruin them and have them expect such gifts in the future from volunteers. They aren't those kind of people which is why I wanted to help them in this way.

I've been told that a person comes to Kenya and Africa in general and it changes them like no other place! Well I think I believe this statement as it has affected me and I've come to love it here in Africa. There is a lot of beauty in Kenya in the wildlife, countryside and the people.

I don't known if I'll be able to come here again but I hope to return in a couple years - enhallah. However it may not necessary be to only volunteer as I don't want to set back any volunteer project a couple of years or destroy the good work done by others.

I met with Mike (the treasure of the KASOW Committee who let me go from my volunteering work) and I think we came to an understanding about my email. I apologized once more as it was not in the best taste as I can be quite outspoken. But I told him to understand that my only thoughts were to help the community in any way I could. I came to really love the people and am sorry that I can't stay longer. Mike understood what I said are valid points but maybe not in the manner I said them. So regardless I hold no amimosity to anyone and feel I did bring a different perspective and help to the villagers.

I am also a little disappointed in the way the committee deals with some of the Kenyan helpers who have become our friends. However I won't get into details as it's too involved but anyone working there will know what I mean. I don't want to cause more trouble within the house or KASOW but I am really disappointed in the way some issues are handled.

The people in the village became from friends which I don't make easily. But these people are so warm and friendly that even an old goat like me warms up to them.

This may ruin my bad guy image but I wanted to help them on a personal level.
But so not to completely ruin my image I can also still be a tactless idiot.
I was on a tour of Maasai Mara with a group of people in a mini van. The trip went good but there was this one Canadian lawyer from Toronto (need I say more) who grated on me! Maybe he didn't realize what his comments meant but he didn't fit in with the other budget travellers on the tour. I'm still surprised he didn't fly to Maasia Mara and hire a personal guide and vechile. He represented everything that I dislike about lawyers and people with an need to create an image! We stayed in tents and of course he had a special luxury tent! He'd describe his shower as rudimentary and asked if our showers had hot water! Well we only had communal showers which we were happy to get at all!

Then he had to talk about his law business and building billable hours so he could take this trip. Of course no one was interested in hearing or cared about shop talk when you're in Africa. He drove a Ford Explorer SUV in downtown Toronto. If you know Toronto he lives on Bloor and St Clair and pays $1800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Of course he works on Bay Street the Canadian equivalent to Wall St! He stepped over the boundary for me when he mentioned he was planning to buy a Hummer! So I had to comment as I hate gas gussling SUV and what they do to the environment! I asked him why he needed a SUV let alone a hummer in Toronto. He said all his friends drove them. I was hoping in Africa that I got away from image conscience people who drive SUV's.

He took a 2 hr hike to the first hut on Mt. Killamanjaro and paid his guide a $30 tip. This got all of us to comment. Do you realize that is more than most of those people make in a week or 2. This will cause more of the people to hang around the gates wanting to guide people. They have enough trouble with unqualified kids portering who want the big tips. A couple 15 year old have died carrying large weights then tripping and falling to their deaths. I told him if a tourist on a 2 week vacation doesn't barter here it sets the bar on a product or service to that price from that point on. I've really noticed that prices and tips are very costly in Kenya and Tanzania for trips to the Nature and Game Reserves. I didn't realize that it would be so expensive to see the sights! But some people's comments are well it's cheaper than back home. Well they aren't back home as you give tips relative to where you get the service or product. A tip of $30 for 3 hrs of service here is way out of line just as a 30 cent tip for service would be back home.
He never actually bartered as he bought a Maasai spear for 5000 shillings ($80) when our guide said he should have only paid 1000 shillings.

Well not to disappoint the people that know me I had to tactfully tell him what I thought. It seems the more Muzungu (white) tourists I meet the more I like the Africans and want to help them.

No comments:

About Me

Project Team - John Agak, Lydia, Jessica, Katy, Angus, Tom kenyaprojects@gmail.com