FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Places of people who visit this blog

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Have about 3 weeks left in Kanyawegi Village so plan to check out some nearby places

Well time has slid by fairly quickly as I've enjoyed my stay here in Kanyawegi. It's nice to be able to walk down the road and know people by name, stop and talk to them about their life. If I could I'd like to stay longer but I can only spare so much of my spiritual guidance here as it's needed elsewhere - Not! So much for the crap but what is true is liking the people here. What I'm not so crazy about is their lack of initiative to start something. But I understand that it's a cultural thing which I've been trying to tell them they need to work on changing to advance their hope of being self sustaining. They all mean well but things don't happen that easy. I guess I just find it frustrating that I can't help them get further with their hopes and plans. Some will advance themselves but many will be spinning their tires and not progressing. But heck progress is not for everyone! They basically happy and maybe that's what matters! The Muzungu's (white person/ not black) way aren't necessarily what they need or is the best! But don't get me wrong that's not what we're trying to instill here. We are basically interested in helping them understand what they need to do to live with out help (if possible).

The people are always saying Hello or How are you?, etc. The kids are actually the funniest as they are all so eager to talk to us. I walk through the fields alot using my shortcuts to get places. I hear kids yelling "How are you?" and I can't even see them. So I yell "Ber" (Good). At first I would stop and say "what's your name?" they'd answer "How are you?" So we realized that that's the only English expression they maybe know. But hey, that's still more than I know their dialect of Luo or the national language "Kiswahilli/Sawahilli". But the main thing is the people are also smiling even if a lot of them have led and are having a hard time with their lives.

Well we had 2 new people join our Volunteer team. We got Mike who is Katy's boyfriend from back home. He arrived on Wed afternoon after flying for 2 nights from Vancouver to Nairobi and then climbing on a 7 hrs bus trip from Nairobi to Kisumu which is near our village. The 2 night flt lays out most people but to do that long and bumpy 7 hr bus ride. Well I guess that's what people do when they're dating! Maybe I was married too long or didn't appreciate my wife which may be why we're separated. Oh well we all make our beds!

So where was I oh yeah then on Thur we had Adrienne join us. We got a grant from UBC to do a Nutrition Survey and generally find out the food, prices and nutrition of the diets of kids, pregnant women and sick people, etc. Then another person is coming in Feb to implement some changes to the diets of the people. I sure glad that some changes to their diet by simply making them aware of what is healthly or provides them more nutrition.

Then tomorrow, Jessica's mother and her friend are joining us. They are 2 retired longterm teachers who want to visit the schools to help out. Heck there is still hope for some of the teachers that I know! Most of you have great backgrounds and experience to help people out here. Heck if an old IT guy like me can do a couple projects, just think what a knowledgeable person could do.

So we have our last KASOW Committee Meeting on Sun and then just after that I hope to attend my last KASOW Youth Group Meeting. I guess I should let them know about my plans to check out Uganda at the end of next week. I kind of got itchy feel and am looking forward to getting on the road and checking out some places. I hope to take the local Matatu (mini bus) to the Uganda border. Then walk across to get my Ugandan Visa and catch another Matatu to the town of Jinja. I’m catching the local mini bus even though it’s a pain because the long distant bus runs later in the day and doesn’t get into Uganda until after dark. I’ve always had a policy of always trying to get to a strange place during the day. Also being 1/2 the price helps but it’s twice as tiring and uncomfortable. Anyway when in Rome do as the Romans do I guess I'll take the local transportaation and catch a few zzzz's.

Then I hope to go to Kampala (the capital city) and check out maybe getting a permit to track and see the Mountain Gorillas. It's a bit expensive and I don't know if there's any permits left as there's only a limited number given out. So I'll wing it and see what happens. Adrienne the girl that just arrived was doing a Nutrition Survey in Rwanda before she came here. She was able to go on a trek and said yes it's expensive and you only get 1 hr to view them. But she said it's well worth the price to see the gorillas swinging on the trees, etc. So I'm determined to check them out as I may never get a chance to see them in their natural environment again. She told me that it was easy to get a permit in Rwanda. It's the rainy season so it's low season and their park is located right next to the one in Uganda. So I guess I've have to pull out the rain coat and hiking boots that I used on Mt. Killamanjaro. Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained.

So I'll probably be gone for a week or however long it takes. Then I want to come back to the village, wash my clothes, leave my mtn climbing stuff here. Then maybe head to Nakuru which is the city which is close to the Rift Valley. The Rift Valley is really an interesting and beautiful area where there has been a shift in the earth's crust. There's a deep valley and high hills and beautiful lakes and wild life. So I'd like to check that out while I'm here.

Then when I get back, I'll wash my clothes check out a few of the projects. Ones I worked on to see if they're going Ok and then get ready to leave the village. We have a 4 day excusion to Masa Mara which is the international game reserve where everyone goes to see all the Kenyan wild life. It's right across the border from the equally fantastic Sergenti Plains of Tanzania.

So I'll probably be near an internet cafe to post something I hope. So catch you later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jambo!

When you get home you watch the movie "Nowhere in Africa". This is a German movie which takes place primarily in Kenya. The movie is in German with English subtitles. There is also English and Swahili. We were surprised by the number of Swahili words we knew.

About Me

Project Team - John Agak, Lydia, Jessica, Katy, Angus, Tom kenyaprojects@gmail.com