FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Places of people who visit this blog

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hey this Uganda is Great to visit and lots of fun!

Hey check out these pics of Uganda - of the hostel I stated at , live white ants this lady on a bus was nice enough to share with me, pics of the Nile river from the campground I stayed at, also a couple pics of the Nile from the balcony and the balcony of the bar of the campground hostel. Bar reminded me of a bar at a beach as it has a sand floor.











Well compared to the sedated quiet life in Kanyawegi for the past 8 wks this is more my speed. That's not to say I didn't love what I was doing in Kanyawegi because I loved it there but unfortunately maybe some people didn't think the same as me! Actually I had someone ask if I'd volunteer at a church (I don't think a church is ready for me and I don't want to set back any more programs for a few years!) and there are a few volunteer jobs here in Uganda even if I'm actually wanting to get into that for a while as it's too costly!

But getting back to what I seem the best at - travelling and hanging out! The matatu (mini van that's crammed with people) ride from Kisumu in Kenya to the Ugandan border were OK once Justine and I hooked up to catch it. Then we had to catch different matatus in Uganda. She was going to Kampala and I was going to Jinja. I could have taken hers as it was going through Jinja to get to Kampala but I would have had to pay the 10000 U Sh ($4) even if I got at Jinja. So I one to Jinja and paid 600 U SH and we separated ways. The highway to Jinja was crappy with potholes and dusty as heck! It was also hot and crowded and stopped every 10 mins to pick up and drop off passengers. I sat in the front of the bus so it was extra hot and I took in every swirve to miss the potholes and every on coming vehicle that we missed. It was only about 3 hrs but was a real trip. I either slept or listened to my mp3 player.

I stayed one night in Jinja at this Backpackers hostel and got an entire 8 bed dorm room to myself. I only stayed 1 night and then the next morning I took a mini bus to Kampala. The most interesting thing about that trip was the lady next to me. She was eating something out of a banana leaf. I thought it was small fish but she said it was white ants that were crawling around on the leaf. So I asked if I could try it didn't taste bad but not much taste so they said they also eat them cooked.

I got left off at the main bus station and took a boda boda (motorbike) to the Uganda Wildlife Authority. Unfortunately they didn't have any openings for 6 days and I didn't want to hang around Kampala until then. So I stayed one night at this other Backpacker hostel which was really nice with a bar, restuarant, internet and great people. Had a few drinks and headed to a bar in the evening to a bar with a live band as the live band scene in Kampala is fairly good. I got this guy to burn me this CD of all this African, Middle East, South American and other cuts that he picked up travelling for 10 years on the road. I think he funds his travel selling these CD's.

Actually the most exciting thing in Kampala is the Boda boda motorbike ride. They scream down the street darting through traffic, over curbs, on medians between traffic, down the wrong side of the street, down sidewalks thru pedestrians, etc. It was well worth the $2 I paid for a 20 min ride to get somewhere. I took it during rush hour in the rain, in the evening and anothe time and each time it was a real adrelaine rush. The ultimate rush is an evening ride on a boda boda as its hard to see. A person has to pretty well leave your fate on their skills. I thought I was going to lose a knee cap or toe driving between trucks and in front of traffic. Apparently if a person wants they can also drive the motorbike and the driver will be your passenger. I don't know if their insurance (or your life policy) if they have it covers this situation. But anyone going to Kampala has to try this!

I understand on Nov 20 the heads of states of the Commonwealth countries are meeting in Kampala so they're trying to clean up the streets. Sure glad I won't be there then as the traffic will be a night mare. Can just see the boda bada's bypassing the motor cades, etc (NOT).

Since I couldn't get a permit to visit the gorillas I decided to head back to Jinja as it's a lot nicer place to hang out. Jinja is a small city with the claim of being the place where the Nile RIver starts as water drains from Lake Victoria. There's a lot of rapids at the start of the river near by which is a tourist mecca for people who want aa adrenaline rush sport - white water rafting, white water kayaking, bungee jumping, rip cord trips over the wide Nile, ATV, mountain biking, etc.

There's a free shuttle bus running at 7 am from Kampala to Jinja so even though it was really early heck I'd get up at 1 am to get on a free bus. On my second stay in Jinja I'm staying out at the campgrounds by Jajuyba (sp) Falls on the Nile River. It's about 8 miles from town but it's really nice out here. I'm staying in a 4 bed dorm with another guy for $5 / night so can't complain. I was really tired and used to going to be around 8 pm so I went to bed at 9 pm. My room mate had just flown in from London so he went to bed before me. Had a great sleep until 11:30 PM when the music and noise woke me up. I tried to sleep through it but thought if I can't sleep then I may as well join them. So hung out drinking until about 3 am. Boy there were a lot of drunk people and I mean really pissed. It seems there's a party at this campground every night. I'm not going to try to sleep tonight as I won't get much sleep anyhow.

The location of this campsite is on a high bank above the Nile River and it's amazing how wide the Nile is even here. This area is a real tourist spot for Uganda as there are a lot of backpackers and families. I guess Uganda needs more electricity so the World Bank is helping them finaance another dam on the Nile. This will remove one of the big rapids that the white water rafters and kayakers like. So it will be interesting to see how the area is affected in the next 4 years. There are a lot of Mazungu's (whites) working and living in the Jinja area. It's a lot different environment than the village area I lived around Kisumu in Western Kenya. But there also a lot of volunteers here in Uganda and they all take off to Jinja for a wild weekend of adrenaline rush times.

There was this one girl who looked really tired so I asked her and she said It may be because of my 2 black eyes. I asked her how that happened and she said bungee jumping. I guess the cord was set too long, probably didn't change it for the rise in the river depth. I thought if you probably pay $100 you are assured a 100% chance of making it OK, $75 you get a 75% chance of making it OK and $50 you get 50% chance. But of course it isn't so but it kind of ruled out bungee jumping for me here! Actually after the boda boda rides I don't really need another adrenaline rush activity and so much less in price and so very real!

I was thinking of doing the tandem white water kayaking over class 5 rapids so they claim. But the $125 price so of makes me back off! Also I've seen the water condition of Lake Victoria around Kenya which makes me think of a mosiquito breeding ground. I just don't feel like rolling in a kayak through that type of cesspool! Also I've read where a person shouldn't swim in lakes of Africa as there are parasites that can invade a person's body if they aren't African and immune to the parasites. Most people here think well the water is flowing and what you don't know is best! Actually it's the price that puts me off as I can probably do these things back home. I'd rather spend my money going on a safari or seeing things of Kenya that I can't back home. Actually I've already got a few liters of Nile (the name of their national beer) in me so don't know if I need any from the river!

So I may stay here a couple more days soort of chilling out and then head back to Kenya and check out places there. Check to see where I go in the next 6 weeks.


No comments:

About Me

Project Team - John Agak, Lydia, Jessica, Katy, Angus, Tom kenyaprojects@gmail.com