FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Places of people who visit this blog

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Not very organized but added a couple more pics and things about myself and my family (in case ur interested)

I guess as compared to other people's blog mine is a mess. But it doesn't take as much time to jot down words but takes a lot of time to make it pretty. The internet in this place I've been using is working a little faster for uploading resized pics (but I still have to resize the pics). However I'm not into pretty I guess so I just try to get my observations and thoughts on this blog. Maybe one day I'll clean it up.
Just to let those that know me. I got a hold of Darren (my son) by phone Fri nite (Sat here). He was totally wasted and couldn't communicate so I called him this morning. The reason I'm calling him is he's off in early Nov to train for the Special Operations/Forces. The first month they rake the newbies over the coals both mentally and physically. They want to weed out the ones that won't cut it for the training. So by Christmas we'll know whether he is fit to be trained. I wanted to wish him luck as he's had his heart on this for a long time. I've never seen him so focused on something so if he doesn't make it it won't be for lack of effort. Then he'll be able to come home for Christmas which is why I've planned to leave Kenya before Christmas or I'd stay in Africa for a few more months and travel. But I have higher priorities.
Also I communicate with Jolene (my daughter) who seems to be doing well in her job in HR. She was happy to get a raise after 4 months. She just got home to Vancouver in the middle of May after spending 1 1/2 years teaching English in Japan and travelling for another 6 months or so.
So it's nice to see she's settled into her life as she's got her own apartment a block off Sunset beach in downtown Vancouver. It's a good location for her to walk to work and hang out with her friends and go to the fitness club. She hardly needs the car she's got but it comes in handy to visit her mother in North Vancouver. Irene bought herself a real nice bright 2 bedroom condo in North Vancouver. It's right next to Parkgate Village towards Deep Cove. She can walk across the street to a Rec Center, library, Safeway's supermarket, liquor store, ATM, veg and bakery plus places for coffee or to eat. She seems to be settling in good and has her a secure job in MRI at the Cancer Hospital. Plus she has a number of places wanting her to do casual MRI work at any time she wants. So she doesn't need me around to spend her money and mess up her beautiful condo. If she needs a messy guy around she can find one any where!
So as you can see with the above doing well. Heck I can just volunteer and travel her in Kenya and Africa without too much worry! I don't really worry because I did I'd be back home still building up my IT career what little I had. But life is too short to play the corporate game to buy a nice car, house, giant tv, a rec home in the mtns, etc. That's not me as I like the non pretentious things and people. So there that's a bit about me on this Sun in Kisumu!

Enjoy the pics of
People at Pago Beach on Lake Victoria by the village where I am. They're selling talapia fish in the morning when i was out for a run. They tried to sell me a talapia fish for 300KS (about $50) that the locals can pay 100 or 150. I decided not to buy as they laugh when they said the price was 300. It's kind of ironic as they want to shaft me when they sell something to Mazungu's (whites yes I'm considered one here, but like I care as I'd rather they referred to me as Japan they don't say Japanese!) but then they turn around and want a handout. I realize its a cultural thing but it does get frustrating at times. Heck I kind of enjoy bartering for price as I low ball them right away as there's nothing I barter for that I really really want so if they say no to my price than that's fine with me.
Also included pics of progress of the building of the class rooms. If you check back on previous postings you may have noticed work on a building. Well this is how it has progressed.
Pics around the village of cattle coming down to water at a pond or dam (as they refer to it) which was dug to collect the rain during the rainy season. Cattle and women use it to wash their clothes and some even use it to cook when the well they normally use is too busy!
I've added a pic of the infamous Principal of the Obambo Secondary School (Idi Amin) where the Computer Resource Center resides. He's not a mean guy but is just strict. Everyone is intimidated by him and his teachers are scared of him. I just treat him like a guy doing his job. Oh by the way the pic is in front of the security tight lab/class room we use as the Computer Resource Center. Also the sheets covering the computers are not for security so no one knows what they are. But to keep the dust off the computers. We have to wait until the new budget in Jan to get glass for the windows. yes they have the same budget problems in the schools here as back home. What do u think any resemblance to Idi?







No comments:

About Me

Project Team - John Agak, Lydia, Jessica, Katy, Angus, Tom kenyaprojects@gmail.com