FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Places of people who visit this blog

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Got the Computer Resource Center setup but not without a bit of controversy

Well no one said things are easy in Africa! We managed to setup the Computer Resource Center /Lab yesterday with a lot of assistance. We thought we had 2 desktops scrapped together from 7 desktops that were available when we arrived. I had to buy a couple of parts and cords, etc but they now work. Then I thought we had a laptop available. However we got it to te Secondary School for the Resource Center. I was told that it was not to be used in the lab. It was to be used by the KASOW Office. Then later I found out that it was too high tech! I just about gagged when I heard that bit. There is not one computer that would be used back home. But I don't want to protect any of them because they're high tech. The laptop are not Wifi and have no dvd player or more than 1 USB port. They are relics from the 90's but hey they were free and they work so that's all that matters. Plus we can teach the people here basic computer skills and in the future they may take Computer Science and do all kinds of great things. But they need a start and that's our objective. What I find is there's a bit of bureacracy at even the minor levels. I know John that you read this blog so sorry but I always tell it how it is. I'll probably be driven out of the village and town for being so outspoken. But I figure I have to tell them what they need to hear not what they or others want to hear. If you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen. So when I got an email that the laptop was not to be used in the Computer Resource Center this is how I replied. Dear Tom,We forgot to remind you that the laptop is for theKASOW office and should note be located to Obamboseconadry school during computer trainings.Thank you for you continued support! Hi, Yes I found out that the laptop was not to be moved to Obambo Secondary School. However I found out after we moved it there and were going through the inventory of computer equipment. I was told that Helen was suppose to tell me that the laptop was not to be moved. I don't want her to be blamed as she was not home when we moved the equipment. Also she is not part of the KASOW organization so it should not be her responsibility to tell us. My first thought when told about the laptop was there is no electricity in the KASOW office. Then I was told the laptop is used at John' home MAYBE 2 times a month to write minutes following the committee meetings. I may be mistaken but my understanding is that the KASOW Committee's and volunteers' prime existence is to assist the Community of Kanyawegi! So if I'm not mistaken this means that we should be maximizing the number of people having use of any KASOW assets like the computers. So wouldn't it make sense to have the laptop at Obambo Secondary School for training. Therefore it would be used by the community everyday. Then on the occasional day that the minutes or whatever need to be written on the laptop the committee members can go to Obambo Secondary to do it. We should be setting an example of sharing Assets rather than hording them for ourselves! Also there is a laptop left for the KASOW Youth Group which is not being used very often. They say they don't have electricity except at Sabako Primary. Obambo Secondary also has a donated laptop which needs some cleaning. I say all these donated computers should be moved to one place for the entire community to use them to train.Then there could be a slight fee for their use which will limit their use to people needing their use rather than for spending time for free. I have explained that we will offer to train the prinicipal and his staff first. I feel that the basic training should take a hr one day and then a hr the next day. I trained Maurice to log on, understand the folder heirarchy in My Computer to add a file, use basic Word then save the file and later to access it again, then log off the computer in a very short time. There are many more things to learn however I think that with this basic knowledge that is all most people would use a computer. There are 3 teachers assigned to help so they can be assigned as Administrators of the Room. They would manage the opening and locking of the room, scheduling of the training in blocks of 1 hr per session to a maximum of 2 people per computer per hr. This would make it manageable to train with hands on time. It seems that if we don't schedule then it's like an open door policy where people wander in and out. We will of course have to speak with the principal Elisha Wandare to confirm that this arrangement will be agreeable. We also have to ensure that they understand that this equipment is being loaned to the Computer Resource Center and that it's not for their exclusive use alone. The principal is currently involved in meeting with the local school board so is unavailable. These desktop and laptop computers are valuable assets that need to be maintained but understand that they are all donated used models and some have some faulty parts.They are not the latest and greatest on the market as some people may be led to believe. However they will serve the purpose for basic training until replacements are available. I had to piece together the desktops and installed Word on the laptop as it didn't seem to work. Plus the people wanted McAfee on the machine which I will complete as soon as I get to the machines. But please understand if we want the community to learn some basic computer usage we have to open them up for as many computers for themto use and not horde them for our own use. Some people may feel carrying around a laptop gives them a sense of importance however computers are basically only a tool like a hoe!. I guess I got carried away on this subject however the final decision on their usage is up to the KASOW Committee. I was told to let the Committee know before I or the others speak to the Youth Group or do any other small projects. Well I was hoping to attend the Youth Meeting this Sunday to ensure that they are being more proactive with their plans rather than just sitting around talking about them. They said they distribute condoms but they ran out. I checked with the Health Unit by Sabako Primary and they have some for people. I also suggested they contact the hospital(s) in town and build a relationship with them. I may be mistaken but they are or have started worked on 2 projects of their impressive list. Distribution of condoms and planting of seedlings around KASOW office. I don't feel this is adequate and they need to be pushed. This is the reason I want to attend their meeting if it meets KASOW's approval.There are many others ways they could assist the community with out monetary assistance from KASOW. I have attached a document outlining what needs to be discussed. I would also like to see in conjunction with the Community Bank a Forum with any one in Community.My first thought was to call it "Taking The Next Step". What I want to do is educate the people in Kanyawegi on ways to be Self Sustaining. They need to take the next step. I feel that ignorance of what to do is a major factor in the people sometimes not succeeding. I also attended the Woman's Sewing Group discussion and will attend a meeting with the Obambo Primary head teacher and parents group Fri afternoon. These are just things I'd like to try however I get the feeling that sometimes we are being a bit stifled in new ideas of helping the community. I feel that Loyce is a definite asset to the Community. Her husband Ken who is an ex Finance teacher at a College and now a successful farmer. I feel that the 2 of them provide excellent advice and support to the community. However I feel the old prejudice against outsiders seems to rear it's ugly head and their advice is not treated seriously. If they are treated like this KASOW will lose their valuable support. Another excellent person who has the best interest of the community in mind is Tom the head teacher of Obambo Primary. My reason for spending a lot of my own money, giving up an income and being in Kanyawegi is to volunteer to help improve the life of the people in the community in the best I know how. So in that regard I may have spoken out of line but when we first arrived I was told to voice my opinion and observations so this is what I'm doing. My style is I feel I should tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear. I can't say I'm speaking for the other 3 volunteers on these matters. I would have included the other members of the Committee in this email if I had their email addresses. I can forward my thoughts to any if I am provided their addresses. Sincerely

So if you hear that I'm no longer in the village, walking back to Nairobi or relaxing on a beach in Zanibar or Mombasa, don't be surprised. But I figure I can grin and put up with it or I can offer my opinions, ideas and observations.

No comments:

About Me

Project Team - John Agak, Lydia, Jessica, Katy, Angus, Tom kenyaprojects@gmail.com