FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Places of people who visit this blog

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Made it to Kenya after 2 nights on a plane

Can I say 'Half the fun is getting there"? Well in this case I question it. But hey I made it and was met by Mamma Ruth and the Professor. Ruth is a Kenyan girl in her 4th year at UBC. So hence her mother is called Mamma Ruth. We call her father Professor as he's a Professor of Law at the University of Nairobi. They're super people so warm and friendly. We got hooked up with them by John to unwind in Nairobi before we head to the village Kangawegi in Western Kenya. We are making a minor detour to the country of Tanzania to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7 days. This should be a great adventure since Kilimanjaro is about 19,000 ft high. So we have to take our time so we don't get altitude sickness. In fact on the 4 th day we don't do any climbing but just acclimitize. That's my biggest concern as I feel confident I can do the climb as it's not a very t echnical climb but it is exhausting. But time will tell. I read this book called Into Thin Air before I left Nairobi. It was appropriate but not very positive as it's about 12 people who died on Everest in 1996 caught in a storm. We won't have those issues but it makes for good reading.
Well I have to go and meet with the group to make final plans. Will try to update this blogs when I get to a decent computer and internet. I finally found the first good system to write this. Sorry if my eamils have been partial with mistakes. Catch you in the village and will try to update in a couple weeks. By the way I got a Kenyan Sim card here for my phone so can use it. But found out that it's cheaper if someone calls me than if I do. It cost me $1.50/ min to call Canada the other night. Delay in the start of our climb so I'm still in Arusha today and will start tomorrow. We've buying a couple things like chlorine tablets for to purify the water. I got my head shaved today as it's cheaper than buying shaving cream. My disposable electric shaver just doesn't cut it for my hear. Can't look scruffy when I make it to the summit now can I? Apparently we wake up at midnight to start to summit so we can arrive at sunrise. Guess we'll be using headlamps to light our way. Just hope it's not cloudy when we get there. Anyway will update you about the climb in my next posting which could be whenever I get on a good computer and internet connection.

No comments:

About Me

Project Team - John Agak, Lydia, Jessica, Katy, Angus, Tom kenyaprojects@gmail.com